(front row, from left) Building owners Mark and Susi Varvayanis of Dryden; Abby Wandell of the Geneva Chamber; Jessica Grant of the Fairfield Inn & Suites; Stacey Pierce of Hobart and William Smith Colleges; Ruri Chappell of Zotos International; Miranda Odell, Chamber Executive Director; and John Varvayanis.
(back row, from left) Ted Baker of Finger Lakes Radio Group; Ron Telarico, Chamber Ambassador; John Latanyshyn, Community Bank N.A; Jim Donnelly, project and building manager of Lakeview Geneva; and Alexa Wessie of Reliant Community Credit Union.
Chamber staff, Board Members, Ambassadors, and local business and community members attended the official ribbon cutting celebration at Lakeview Geneva, LLC (One Franklin Square) on Friday, June 2, 2017.
The event was one of the Chamber’s featured Milestone Celebrations and showcased the Grand Opening of the recently completed luxury apartments, located on the top floor of the historic downtown building. Guests had the opportunity to tour the 7 available residential spaces, while enjoying hors d’oeuvres and panoramic views of Seneca Lake and downtown Geneva.
Located in the historic One Franklin Square Building, the recently completed space includes 7 individual apartments which were custom built with high end finishes and amenities, and also feature panoramic views of Seneca Lake and downtown Geneva. In addition to residential space, the building also has build-to-suite commercial spaces available and offers private tenant parking, as well as 24-hour on-site property maintenance. Current tenants include the Geneva Area Chamber of Commerce, Community Proud Apparel, Geneva Business Improvement District Office, Tierney Pension Administration, The Electricity Forum, Morely Financial Services, Miracle Ear, Nucor Vulcraft, District Offices for the Methodist Church, as well as an attorney, and CPA office.
Want to learn more about One Franklin Square? Check out the timeline below for more information about this historic downtown property!
1825 -1899: 541 Exchange Street, the Franklin House (Hotel built the year the Erie Canal opened at the corner of (then) Water Street and Seneca Street to meet the needs of business interests, which moved to be near the lakefront and transportation routes. General LaFayette lunched at the Franklin, in 1825, on their opening day. The Franklin became the main Hotel in the village of Geneva and marked a shift in commerce from South Main St. to the north end of the lake. It was razed in 1900 and replaced by the current One Franklin Square Building, constructed for Dorchester and Rose Hardware.
1903 – 1940: 537-545 Exchange Street housed Dorchester & Rose Hardware and a multitude of smaller businesses for many years.
Including: Lansing Hoskins, Lawyer; Geneva Seneca Electric offices; Lehigh Valley Ticket Office; U. S. Express Office; Prudential Insurance; Armor Fertilizer, Geneva Brick; NYS Fire Insurance Rating; Geneva Consolidated Mineral Springs; Geneva Refrigerating Corp. (also various lawyers and insurance companies)
In 1925 Dillman Bros. Fruit and Dillman Farms Corp. moved into the #541 portion of the building operating both the Fruit business and Farms Corp. plus Geneva Refrigeration from that location until 1934 when they moved back to 148 Castle Street and the Dilman Block. They had 148 built for them in 1899, roughly the same time as Franklin Square. Why they moved out in 1925 and back in 1934 is still to be researched.
In 1940 Dorchester and Rose moves to 20-22 Castle Street and by 1942 Montgomery Ward and Company are operating out of 543 – 545 Exchange Street.
1942 – 1975 Montgomery Ward (by 1977 Montgomery Ward has moved to 437 Exchange Street)
1977 – Variety of small businesses.
Milestone Celebrations are a benefit of Chamber membership and provide awareness and exposure for member businesses by promoting the important components of who they are and what they do, such as their people, property, products and services. Examples of other Milestone Celebrations can include Anniversary Celebrations, Grand Re-Openings, or Relocation-based Open Houses.
For more information please call the Chamber at (315) 789-1776 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.